Sweet juicy citrus, swaying palm trees, and a surplus of theme park attractions. No wonder the Sunshine State is flooded with swarms of visitors. In fact, over 70 million people head to Central Florida for sun and fun each year.
Follow along as we dish all the details on the best time to visit Orlando, Florida.
From the ins and outs of avoiding long ride lines to making the most of your winter break, we know there are many factors to consider when planning the perfect O-town trip.
Whether you are crossing your fingers for a Princess character breakfast at Magic Kingdom or need to avoid the sweltering summer heat, our detailed guide lays out the ultimate times for travel.
Enjoy seasonal events such as bone-chilling Halloween Horror Nights or festive Yuletide celebrations with Mickey.
No matter when you arrive, the City Beautiful is an oasis of family fun, outdoor adventure, and amusement park thrills.
While Florida may instantly conjure up images of cloudless sunny skies and heavy humidity, the weather patterns in the Sunshine state vary significantly by region. Located in Central Florida, Orlando is blessed by a subtropical climate. This means the area receives over 50 inches of rain each year and enjoys moderate temperatures.
However, as any good Floridian knows, O-town weather patterns are fickle. Therefore, we always recommend checking a detailed weather forecast before your arrival. Depending on when you choose to visit the City Beautiful, you could be met by hurricanes or balmy beach temperatures!
Related Post: Current Events and Festivals in Orlando
Other important information to note when deciding when to get away with Goofy or build a brick masterpiece with Benny include:
- The rainy season lasts from May through October
- The wettest month of the year is June
- The hottest months of the year are July and August
- The coldest month of the year is January
Nothing can put a damper on Orlando plans faster than a deluge of rain, wind, and flooding. Thankfully, due to Orlando's Central Florida locale, it is often missed by most major tropical storms.
However, it is important to note that Florida's hurricane season runs from June through November. As a result, this time of year can sometimes be subject to undesirable weather patterns.
Related Post: What to Do in Orlando When it Rains
Since this is a popular time of year to frequent Universal Studios Florida or opt into marine adventures at Discovery Cove, it pays to be prepared. Minimize your risk of washed-out days when you keep tabs on the forecast. Always be sure to adhere to all safety guidelines and weather advisories.
Frosty glasses of iced tea, denim cut-offs, and plenty of SPF. Summer in Orlando may not be for the faint of heart, but higher temperatures make for plenty of languid and laid-back days.
Keep hydrated, slap on some sunscreen, but be prepared to sweat! Average temperatures for the summer months hover around 90 degrees Fahrenheit come June and can hit highs of 94 in July. Evenings offer up a slightly cooler respite, with lows around 70 degrees.
Related Post: 24 Hours of Fun in Orlando for Families
However, you may want to forgo packing that curling iron, as humidity is at an all-time high during these months. Hovering at around 60%, this makes for a positively steamy climate. Summer is part of the rainy season, so pack that rain jacket or umbrella.
Carving pumpkins, changing leaves, and thick knit sweaters may be indicators of Fall all over the United States. But Autumn months in Orlando look mighty similar to Summer. Visitors can expect warm weather and humidity into Mid September.
In addition, the fall months fall strictly under the jurisdiction of hurricane season. Prime yourself for some potential tropical storms by packing a poncho or rain slicker and staying up to date on all-weather warnings. However, guests looking to mingle with Mickey can experience some relief by November.
Related Post: The Top 8 Spookiest Halloween Celebrations in Orlando
Average temperatures in November drop to 67 degrees Fahrenheit with highs of 70 and lows of 59. Precipitation levels dip from October through November, making it an ideal time to experience Fall festivals or events at your favorite theme parks.
It's the Happiest Season for a reason! Wintertime is awash with the warm glow of holiday celebrations, mountains of presents, and near-perfect Orlando weather. It's no surprise that many Northerners seek refuge in Orlando from the ravenous snow and ice storms pummeling their home states.
December, January, and February serve up some of the most comfortable Central Florida weather. Visitors can expect high temperatures of around 70 degrees Fahrenheit, slightly lower humidity, and minimal rainfall.
Planning a winter vacation to Disney? Check out our guide to ensure the best experience ever!
Average temperatures for mid-January hover around 59 degrees. Making it an opportune time to whip out a light jacket or sweater.
Whether you are drooling over ice-cold mojitos or are hoping to explore exotic cultures at the EPCOT International Flower and Garden Festival, Spring is a superior time to visit O-town. Leftover winter chill begins to fade as temperatures gradually rise and humidity lessens.
High temperatures in March can hit 80 degrees with lows of 60. Slightly balmier May brings an average ideal temperature near 76 degrees to Orlando with moderate rainfall.
Best Time to Visit Orlando - Peak Season
While we all wish we were ballers without a budget, the truth is most of us need to maneuver our travel plans around costs and crowds. It is no secret that certain times of the year bring an overflow of attendance to Orlando's theme parks, attractions, and activities. Generally speaking, Orlando's busiest seasons coincide with all school and major holidays.
You can expect long lines and higher prices during the following months:
- March through April (Spring Break)
- June through August (Summer Break)
- Mid-December through early January (Winter Break)
- Peak season rates will also apply to Easter, Thanksgiving, and any other major Federal holidays
Our Orlando experts agree that the top times to visit the City Beautiful are:
- From March to May - almost picture-perfect weather and affordable prices on accommodations
- From September to mid-November - comfortable temperatures and still reasonable rates on resorts on travel
Related Post: In-Depth Guide to Best Shopping in Orlando
Ultimately, the best time of year to explore Orlando is whatever works within your budget and schedule. While certain months may muster up a little more rainfall, in the end, it's the magical memories you make together that count.
Best Time to Visit Orlando - Seasonal Events
Yuletide carols with Belle, terrifying haunted houses, or bricktacular summer celebrations. Many times it's well worth the extra crowds to snag a ticket to a seasonal Orlando event. Amp up on holiday cheer, trick or treat with larger-than-life LEGO characters, or feast on delicacies at an EPCOT food festival.
Walt Disney World
No one loves a special event or mouth-watering food festival more than Disney. Throughout the calendar year, Walt Disney World dials up the dazzle and treats guests to a number of specially ticketed events and occasions.
Expert epicureans should try to plan their travel around one of EPCOT's premier food festivals:
- EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival presented by CORKCICLE
- EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival
The International Food & Wine Festival runs from July 14 - to November 19, 2022, and features a scrumptious journey across six continents. Treat your tastebuds to memorable meals, global marketplaces, and dynamic beats.
The International Flower & Garden Festival runs from March 2 - to July 4, 2022, and is an explosion of charming character topiaries, fresh flavors, and live entertainment. Reconnect with nature and sample morsels from Japan to Germany on this tasty tour.
More into dance parties, crazy costumes, and cavalcades? Check out the variety of special ticketed events and get ready to ring in the spookiest (or happiest) time of year with your favorite animated characters:
- Disney H2O Glow After Hours - set your alarm for an evening refresh when you enjoy the splish-splashing fun of Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park after hours.
- Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - kid-friendly thrills, chills, and plenty of candy are all part of this extra eerie Halloween event.
- Disney Very Merriest After Hours - firework spectaculars, seasonal parades, and oodles of decorations and cheer make this holiday celebration a 'can't miss' Disney event.
The thrill of the Triwizard tournament or the rush of the Jurassic World Velocicoaster is hard to beat. However, come the holiday season Universal Studios Orlando is awash in a wide array of special events.
Whether you are craving a sinister scare or a Holly Jolly Grinchmas, the movie magic is extra sweet during these special times:
- Halloween Horror Nights - nightmares come to life at this legendary event featuring ten haunted houses, five scare zones, and two live shows. Not for the faint of heart, this spine-tingling experience is recommended for children ages 13 and older.
- Grinchmas - sweet sing-alongs, photo opportunities, and tasty treats for every last resident of Who-ville. Marvel at festive decorations and kooky Seuss Landing surprises during this Christmas celebration.
- Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - spirit yourself away to the wonderful world of Hogwarts, Butterbeer, and Hogsmeade. Ring in the Yuletide with sparkling castle lights, carols from the Frog Choir, and performances by Celestina Warbeck.
Magnificent marine mammals, heart-pounding rollercoasters, and live dolphin feedings. SeaWorld Orlando is an epic aquatic adventure perfect for any intrepid explorer.
Besides Orca encounters and buckets full of watery edutainment, visitors should keep their eyes peeled for the wide variety of 2022 Seasonal events:
- Electric Ocean - awesome animal ambassadors, family-friendly dance parties, and awe-inspiring firework displays are on the menu this summer. So get groovy with glowing sea creatures and appreciate the majesty of the brand new firework and fountain show, Ignite 360.
- Howl-O-Scream - experience new terrors, nighttime roller coasters, and more at this annual extravaganza of horror. This year, wash down 28 nights of pure evil with a frightening interactive bar or monstrously entertaining live show.
- SeaWorld Spooktacular - need a slightly less gruesome plan for All-Hallows Eve? Trick or treat, show off your creative costume, and explore a pumpkin-strewn trail at this beloved kid-friendly event.
- SeaWorld Christmas Celebration - ho, ho, ho! Observe Orlando as a winter wonderland when you witness the exquisite holiday lights, live shows, and endless merriment of a SeaWorld Holiday affair.
Splashtastic live-action water ski shows, 4D movie madness, and thrilling Ninjago rides. Whether gleaning tips from master builders or doing the Beetle bounce, LEGOLAND Orlando is chock full of brick-fuelled excitement.
Amp up the LEGO love another notch when you hightail it to the park to participate in some riveting seasonal events and experiences:
- Expanded Awe-Summer Events - squeeze even more awesome out of summer with over 20 weeks of family-friendly activities, character meet-ups, and colorful LEGO fireworks
- Brick or Treat - Boo! Brace yourself for some never before seen LEGO characters, cinematic experiences, and of course, candy at this reimagined LEGO Halloween fettle.
- Holidays at LEGOLAND - gather around a giant LEGO Christmas tree, witness the magic of the sparkling lights, and sing along to spectacular seasonal shows.
Serene golf courses, unparalleled outlet shopping, and an abundance of amusement park adventure have been drawing visitors to Orlando for decades. In recent years the allure of the City Beautiful has only grown stronger.
From outdoor excursions to airboat escapades, not to mention classic pilgrimages to Disney World, Universal Orlando, and SeaWorld Orlando, this Central Florida locale is a certified hotspot for vacationers in the know.
Make the most of your Orlando getaway by picking the perfect time to visit. From wacky weather patterns to evading long Space Mountain lines, our detailed guide will help you deliver the ultimate trip.
Embrace Mistletoe with Minnie Mouse, or get your scream on with Mike Myers. Whenever you decide to visit the City Beautiful, you are in for an incredible treat!
When Do You Think The Best Time to Visit Orlando is?
Leave us a comment below, and tell us your favorite season to visit!