Dollywood will open for the 2019 season on March 16, and kick off their annual Festival of Nations celebration on the same day. The engaging festival runs from March 16th to April 14th and presents entertainment from around the world with music, dance, food, and art. New shows as well as old favorites will join the exciting line-up of shows available that the Pigeon Forge theme park. Over 25 countries are represented during the festival including Africa, Germany, Mexico, Scotland, France, and Ecuador.
As part of Dollywood’s Festivals of Nations, guests are invited to “Find the Rhythm that Moves You” with headlining performances by:
Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba
Location: DP’s Celebrity Theater
In the non-stop 45-minute “Cuba Vibra!” show, guests watch as Ms. Alfonso transforms the theater into a dance hall! Fusing Hispanic and Caribbean cultures into each performance, audiences will clap and dance along with the 18+ dancers on stage each day.
Location: Showstreet Palace Theater
Drumstruck will have audiences clapping, laughing, dancing, and marching to the beat of their own drum. This interactive percussion performance lets audience members play along, with drums available in each seat. Become part of the show while you learn about South African music and culture with West African rhythms.
Other performances throughout Dollywood’s Festival of Nations include:
Invaders Steel Orchestra
Location: Valley Theater
Hailing from Trinidad and Tobago, the Invaders Steel Orchestra bring the spirit and melodies of the Caribbean to the Great Smoky Mountains this spring.
Location: Showstreet Gazebo
Listen to the captivating sounds of Atahualpa as they use native Incan instruments backed by contemporary music. You’ll be instantly transported to the Andes Mountains as you listen to the sweeping melodies.
De Temps Antan
Location: Back Porch Theater
This Quebec trio will have you laughing, smiling, and singing along throughout their entire performance. The group puts their own unique spin on traditional French-Canadian tunes along with some impromptu fun. De Temps Antan performs from March 16th to 25th, 2019 at the Back Porch Theater.
Les Grands Hurleurs
Location: Back Porch Theater
From March 27th to April 14th, Les Grands Hurleurs takes audiences on a musical journey with traditional music combined with folk, electronic, classical, and Manouche stylings. This high-energy show featuring numerous instrument changes is not to be missed.
Video Credit: Dollywood
Passport to Foods
In addition to captivating performances, guests can taste the flavors of the world with the Passport to Foods and special cooking demonstrations. The menu for 2019’s Passport to Foods includes:
- Poutine – Originally from Quebec, Canada, poutine rose to prominence in the 1950s. In our version, fries are served up golden and crispy, then topped with savory brown gravy and fresh cheese curds.
- Fried Cheese Curds – Fresh cheese curds are breaded and deep fried, resulting in rich, melty nuggets of cheese! The fried curds are served with a side of brown gravy for dipping.
- Cuban Sandwich – Another of Chef Pepin’s favorites, this warm Cuban sandwich is piled high with sliced ham, swiss cheese, mustard and dill pickles. It is topped with marinated pork shoulder and served on fresh Cuban bread.
- Arroz Con Pollo – This featured recipe comes from world-famous Chef Pepin. His traditional Cuban arroz con pollo features traditional rice and chicken served alongside Bush’s black beans.
- Mint Refresher – Enjoy Dollywood’s take on the popular Cuban drink made with lemonade, Sprite and a hint of mint.
- Empanadas – Traditional Ecuadorian beef empanadas feature a ground beef filling cooked with onion, garlic and a blend of authentic spices. The beef filling is wrapped with homemade dough, deep fried and served with a tasty mango chutney.
- Arroz Con Leche – Also known as rice pudding, this delightfully simple treat features a creamy, sweetened rice base with a hint of cinnamon. Golden and regular raisins add a tasty texture to this Ecuadorian staple.
- Bavarian Pretzel Bites – These golden-brown pretzel bites are served warm and covered in a generous helping of our homemade beer cheese.
- Gluehwein – A delicious German treat, gluehwein features a fresh blend of apple juice, black tea, lemon and orange juices, and includes notes of cinnamon and cloves.
- Cannoli – These Italian pastries originated in Sicily and feature a crisp, fried pastry dough shell, filled with a sweet, rich and creamy filling.
- Chocolate Biscotti – This Italian bakery delight features white chocolate chips and pecans and is drizzled with rich milk chocolate.
- Bobotie – This authentic South African dish features sausage, almonds and traditional seasonings baked to perfection in a golden, flaky crust.
- Lemonade Punch – A traditional South African beverage, this cool drink is the perfect complement to the authentic Bobotie.
- Beef Bulgogi Nachos – These unique nachos feature marinated skirt steak strips in a traditional spicy and sweet South Korean sauce served on crispy fried wonton chips. The nachos are drizzled with a sweet chili glaze and topped with scallions.
- Apricot Cherry Green Tea – This refreshing South Korean drink features green tea sweetened with apricot and cherry.
- Paella – Our version of paella includes a flavorful combination of Valencian rice, Piquillo peppers, chorizo sausage and shrimp. This aromatic dish smells as good as it tastes!
- Beef Skewers – These slices of beef are grilled to perfection, then drizzled with a chimichurri sauce for a robust and flavorful taste straight from Trinidad.
- Citrus Punch – This refreshing combination of fruit juices provides a cool, crisp taste to quench your thirst
And, don’t miss your opportunity to see world-renowned Chef Pepin whip up his favorite dishes. And, additional chefs share their secrets each subsequent weekend during Dollywood’s Festival of Nations. Cooking demonstrations currently are scheduled to take place each Saturday and Sunday at noon and 2:00 pm in Dollywood’s Market Square area.
Visit Dollywood’s Festival of Nations this Spring
You can experience new and exciting cultures from around the globe with Dollywood tickets. You’ll not only get access to Dollywood’s Festival of Nations but to thrilling rides, talented craftsmen, and specialty shops!
Ashley is Reserve Direct’s travel expert, visiting Pigeon Forge to find the best travel tips, money-saving deals and insider information. With over 10 years of experience in first-hand-travel adventures, she shares her stories, advice, and current events to help you stay in the know.