from Kayak Adventures of Wailua River - Kauai
There is a reason Kauai is considered the garden isle - lush jungle, scenic waterways and cascading waterfalls surrounding dramatic volcanic mountains create the perfect image of a tropical getaway. While there are many ways to explore this incredible gift of natural beauty, kayaking offers a special opportunity to experience the many facets of this island paradise in one fun adventure.
Paddle the majestic Wailua River, which is the only navigable river in Hawaii. This peaceful river winds through a tropical garden paradise of abundant palms, ferns, flowers, and wildlife. Paddle past Kamokila Village, where the opening scene from the movie, “Outbreak,” was filmed. It is also a cultural village depicting the Hawaiian civilization back in the 17th century. Soon you will come to the North Fork where you will paddle leisurely through the Garden Isle’s most beautiful jungle river until you come to the trailhead for Secret Falls. Enjoy a moderate hike through the Wailua rainforest, the original home of the first Hawaiians, who paddled from the Marquesas Islands to Kauai almost 1500 years ago. Hear the legends and learn about the flora and fauna of Kauai’s most sacred area. The final portion of your hike is to the enchanting Uluwehi Waterfall, which descends 125’ into a natural pool surrounded by rocks and vegetation. Take a refreshing dip and play in the pool which was once only reserved for a king!History of the Wailua River
The sacred Wailua was the land of ali’i (kings) and was once the center of chiefly power on the island. This royal center was the political, religious and social center of Kauai’s chiefs who resided in this area. The Wailua Complex of Heiaus is a National Historic Landmark, located on the hillside above the Wailua River. AM and PM check-in times available. The 4.5-5 hour trip includes a picnic lunch with your choice of ham, turkey, roast beef or vegetarian. Picnic lunch after choosing ham, turkey, roast beef or vegetarian sandwiches plus fresh pineapple, chips, cookies & bottled water. Your expert Kauai guide can also answer many other questions about our beautiful island.
Kayak Adventures is devoted to making your time with us the most interesting and fun of all the activities available on our beautiful island. It’s a good idea to book your trip with us in advance of arrival. We only take 12 people on each of our morning tours – 6 days per week.
**There are no Wailua River guided tours allowed on Sundays.Tour Details:
- This is a 4.5 hour tour offered 6 days a week, Monday through Saturday
- Check-In times are 7:15am & 12:45pm
• Roast Beef: Horseradish mayo on whole wheat, cucumber, tomato and sprouts
• Turkey Rose: Rosemary mayo on whole wheat, tomato sprouts
• Ham & Cheese: Cheddar on whole wheat, tomato sprouts
• Veggie: Hummus on multi-grain, cucumber, black olives, tomato, sprouts
• Roast Beef on Lettuce wrap: Horseradish mayo on a lettuce wrap, cucumber, tomato and sprouts
• Turkey Rose on Lettuce wrap: Rosemary mayo on a lettuce wrap, tomato sprouts
• Ham & Cheese on Lettuce wrap: Cheddar on a lettuce wrap, tomato sprouts
• Veggie on Lettuce Wrap: Hummus on a lettuce wrap, cucumber, black olives, tomato, sprouts
Plus, fresh pineapple, chips, cookie & bottled water.
What to Bring:
• Comfortable shoes (hiking sandals –like Tevas or water shoes – sneakers are okay, but they will get wet and muddy) - No Flip Flops
• Light, comfortable clothing, with a swimsuit under your clothing
• Towel, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, bug repellant
• Camera and your sense of adventure (Each kayak has a watertight drybag.)
• The minimum age for participation is 5.
• Guests should be in good physical condition to participate in this activity. Participants should be comfortable in the water, enjoy hiking, and not afraid to get wet and muddy.
• Expect 4 miles of paddling and 2 miles of hiking round trip.
• Trail conditions can be muddy and slippery at times.
• No bad backs, joints or recent surgeries.
• Tour time clocks at 4.5-5 hours, depending on the pace of the group.
To protect both of you, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE BEFORE BOOKING YOUR TOUR! Trail conditions can be muddy and slippery at times and we want to ensure your safety for you and baby. If you show up without informing us, we might have to turn you away based on trail conditions. SAFETY IS OUR #1 PRIORITY!
Tours go out, rain or shine. Please be advised that trail conditions can be wet and muddy due to excess rain. In the event of extreme inclement weather, tours will be re-scheduled.